The History of Nabiac Hotel
Henry and Annie Beisler arrived in Australia from Germany around the middle of the 19th century and he found work cutting timber and splitting shingles around Wang Wauk. In 1882 the Beisler‘s took out a wine licence, opened a shop and a hotel licence was obtained later.
In 1890 the grand old building (shown) was erected in the centre of Nabiac for Mrs Beisler – Henry having died in 1888. Most of the building was of wood but some portions were constructed from locally fired bricks, the clay for which was extracted from a pit near the site of Beisler’s first hotel.
Sadly, the two buildings in the photograph above to the left were destroyed by fire in the mid 1950s and the photograph shown was taken the following morning. The hotel was demolished in 1963 when the Pacific Highway – which had always run through the village on Clarkson Street (the road in the centre of the shot above) – bypassed the village and a new hotel was constructed facing the highway.
The Hotel is currently owned and operated by Mathew & his wife Jodee
Over the years, the Hotel has been given a few upgrades. Here are some of the older photos.